Saturday, June 4, 2011

Upcycled Pinback Buttons and Magnets

I am obsessed with old paper ephemera, from book pages, to greeting cards, postcards, paper party decorations, magazines, books, patterns and stickers. If it is made of paper, I like it and I collect it. Unfortunately, this has led to an over abundance of paper ephemera stored away in boxes. Recently, this collection has become so overwhelming that I decided to create pinback buttons and magnets from some of the paper hidden away in those boxes. I carefully select unique imagery from old advertisements, wallpaper, books, wrapping paper, and whatever I can find that looks appealing to the eye. Instead of copying the image, I use the original, so that the button/magnet picture is crisp and clear, and the buyer gets a one-of-a-kind piece. Now you are probably getting a little antsy at this point, thinking that I am destroying such wonderful, potentially collectible, paper ephemera. But don't you fret. This is what is used: the book pages come from books that are not complete, badly torn and abused. The wrapping paper has already been used to wrap a gift, and I am careful to select great graphics while working around the wrinkles, tape and rips. And the ads I use, well, they may eventually be priceless, but currently they aren't and look much better pieced into a magnet or pinback button. So don't worry, I am trying to recycle while preserving little pieces of history. For the paper items that I think are worth keeping whole, in one piece; well, those items get sold in my Recycled Wares Store.

1 comment:

  1. I love this article on recycling vintage paper. What a wonderful idea. I just visited your store and it is fabulous. I'll be back to look for more post on your blog spot.

    ReplyDelete

Earth Keepers

re·cy·cle

- to alter or adapt for new use without changing the essential form or nature of.
- to use again in the original form or with minimal alteration.
- to help to pass through a cycle again.

Get Paid to Recycle